Testing for only SEO or only CRO isn’t always ideal as they do not compete but they go together. And when it comes to getting more traffic, clicks and conversion, a digital marketer’s job is never finished. They continuously hypothesize, tests, analyze and tweak, in a bid to increase a website’s performance.
A/B testing allows them to scientifically try out their hypotheses and understand whether the tweaks that they are making will impact performance. Recently, there are lots of noises about SEO A/B testing and some confusion on the difference between CRO and SEO A/B testing.
With the help of this blog, we will shed some light on each technique, how they differ and what they are used for.
Let’s just start with understanding these two terms.
SEO: Search Engine Optimization is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website in a search engine’s unpaid results.
CRO: Conversion Rate Optimization is a system for increasing the percentage of visitors to a website that converts into customers or take any desired action on a web page.
Key Differences between SEO and CRO
Following are the major differences between CRO and SEO-
- The primary goal of CRO is to increase the conversion rates and affect visitors after they arrive at a website, whereas SEO affects visitors before they arrive at a website, in the actual search engine result pages.
- CRO does not increase your traffic from search engines unlike SEO which is a primary method of doing so.
- The SEO success comes from off-site link efforts whereas CRO success comes from on-site link efforts to convert more visitors.
- CRO mostly uses A/B testing tools and other visitors’ feedback tools to optimize conversion rates, whereas SEO doesn’t focus on them much.
- CRO initiatives are generally much cheaper to execute than running expensive SEO campaigns.
Need of both CRO and SEO
- If you do not do more work more with SEO for your website than there would not be much traffic on your website and without any traffic you would not be able to do CRO very quickly to help you optimize your conversion rate.
- Doing SEO on your checkout or registration pages has been just pointless as they get very little traffic, but performing CRO on them is essential to increase conversion rates and online revenue.
- If you do CRO without improving your SEO efforts, then you may be wasting your time to optimize high bounce rate pages that may be caused by poor SEO quality keywords and not because the page is badly designed or has poor usability.
CRO A/B Testing
CRO testing also referred to as split testing. This test compares two separate versions of the same website to find out the versions which brings the most qualified leads. Both these versions are shown to the users and then it is statistically analyzed that which version brought the most converted leads. CRO testing is important as it helps marketers to test the best possible alternative that has the potential of bringing the highest possible conversion rates.
SEO A/B Testing
The SEO testing aims to increase the number of visitors to the site by implementing some technical changes that will improve the website’s position in the SERP’s. The SEO split testing is a family of pages and action the changes to half of the pages to create a variant and keep half the pages the same to create the control. To check if the tests have been successful, we compare both the control and variant’s actual traffic against their forecasted traffic.