Upwork, formerly known as Elance-oDesk is one of the largest freelancer platforms in the world. According to one of their estimates, every day their freelancers open new projects over $1 billion. The reason behind this huge success of Upwork as a freelancer platform is the usability of their website as well as their app. Upwork is generally known as a company that has invested greatly in the payout and UI & UX of its website as well as their mobile application. Its website is simple, looks great, and intuitive. According to CNBC, in 2018 Upwork’s valuation was over $1.5 billion, and due to the increase in work from home culture as well as the need to be an independent professional among people. With that being said I think we all can agree that investing in an online marketplace for freelancers is such a great opportunity as well as a wise decision.
In case if you are also thinking about developing an online marketplace and wondering about how much does it cost to develop a website and an app like Upwork. Then we are going to share with you the development process as well as the cost deciding factors. Welcome to the Tech Pathway blog, today we are going to share with you how much does it cost to develop a website and an app like Upwork.
History of Upwork
According to Wikipedia, first, there were two companies Elance (founded in 1999) and oDesk (founded in 2003). Both of these companies were in the online marketplace connecting freelancers with client companies. Later in 2013, these two companies merged as one single biggest online marketplace named Elance-oDesk. After two years in the year 2015, Elance-oDesk rebranded itself as Upwork and currently, it is the world’s biggest freelancer platform.
- Anyone who is looking to sell their services, as well as clients and companies who are looking to buy services, can register on the Upwork platform. They have two options to register themselves as private people and as entrepreneurs. Both of the options are available for everyone but works a bit differently than each other.
- Upwork also allows employers and clients to create a team of freelancers for large projects on the platform itself as well as they also provide all the necessary tools and Software for doing this.
- Recently, Upwork has also allowed employers to check how much time a freelancer has spent on their project in case they are being paid per hour. In addition to that, the Employer can also check the workflow to check if they are on the schedule.
- All the payment process is done by Upwork’s tools and payment methods.
- Upwork has three panels for Freelancers, clients, and enterprises that are for companies.
Key features of Upwork
Freelancers can use this feature to sign in using their credentials as full name, address, mobile number, profile photo, skills, and other general information.
Freelancers need to make a profile containing information about their skills, jobs, resume, past experiences, and profile picture.
Once the registration process is completed, freelancers can use this feature to log in to the platform.
After the sign-in process is complete, freelancers will land on the homepage. This homepage will allow freelancers to navigate through the whole website and use different functions as well as features.
Freelancers can search for jobs using this feature. Once they like a gig they can apply for that.
This feature will be used by clients to sign up on the freelancer platform as a client or buyer.
Post a job
After the sign-up process is completed, the client can directly post a job for whatever needs they require.
After posting the job, the client can check whether anyone has applied for the work and if they have then the client can check their profile and past experiences. Once the client has selected an application they can connect with the freelancer to discuss the job.
The registration process for the enterprise is the same as the client, and the only difference is that enterprises are required to mention details about their company and how many people they work with.
Post a job
After the sign-up process is completed, they can directly post a job for whatever needs they require.
After posting the job, they can check whether anyone has applied for the work. In case anyone is selected after the application review they can connect with the freelancer to further discuss the job.
How to monetize your website and application
Upwork, take a small portion of earning from freelancer’s side in order to let them use the platform as well as granting them access to worldwide opportunities.
Generally, the commission fee is 20% of the whole amount.
The final design and development cost for both website and app like Upwork will be anywhere between $10,000 to $100,000 depending upon various factors such as the geographic location of the company that you will hire to develop your website and application, the total number of features and panels in your application and website, the complexity of UI & UX of your website and application, as well as, the total number of platforms supported by your mobile-based application.
Also Read:- Top 7 popular job search application in 2020
Looking for a development company
Tech Pathway is India’s one of the top leading software development and IT consultancy companies. We provide world-class on-demand solutions while taking everything into account that our clients need. We have a team of experienced developers and designers that have prior experience in on-demand marketplace development like Upwork. So let us develop your Upwork like a mobile app and a website while you concentrate on more concerning matters of your business.
Here’s what we offer
- We provide Salesforce supports to our clients.
- We will look after your social media marketing and ad campaigns.
- Provide the best AI-based chatbot for your app.
- Laravel development
- Data Science
- Android app and iOS app development
- Easily understandable coding script.
- Maintenance and update for your app.
- After-sale supports.