Want to know the weather forecast for tonight?
Moreover, weather apps not just forecast, but has other features as well. Some apps can demonstrate climate and nature change to give the current climate data. But mostly, people use the forecast function only and other types are not so popular.
A weather forecast app is one of the most frequently used apps and has acquired a secure place in the smart devices of many people. So, how about designing one such app though it looks pretty simple yet there are several steps in terms of its functionality and design that would give your app a unique edge over others.
The main purpose of such apps is weather forecasting and following are a few ways to do it:
- Weather estimation: the main function of the app is the forecast. It can indicate the current weather, weekly, daily, hourly or minute-to-minute forecast.
- UV weather map: this feature demonstrates the sun’s ultraviolet radiation level on the world map by Solar UV index. It is not a common function in the forecast apps, but may be useful in the summer.
- Humidity + visibility: it is always better to know humidity and visibility level while going out or especially driving, so this feature is a “must have”.
- Rain probability: this feature indicates the percentage possibility of rain, it includes “partly cloudy”, “cloudy”, etc. indicators.
- Climate map: this feature reveals the entire climate information like air temperature, humidity, sea level, carbon dioxide level, etc. It is apt for scientific and educational purposes.
How to design a weather app for iOS & Android devices?
The primary function of such apps is to forecast weather and following are a few ways to do it:
- Weather conditions data: It may not be the most authentic way to collect weather data still many countries practice it. The main concept here is to manage the prediction based on the continuous statistical data of two-three decades. Surely, it may not be the most innovative way of weather forecasting, but is helpful for countries lacking weather satellites & cameras.
- Satellites: It is the most definite means of forecasting weather and helps in receiving the most accurate prognosis.
- Smartphone functionality: The easiest way of weather forecasting is using the smartphone sensors like, barometer, gyroscope, accelerometer, battery temperature, etc. This method allows forecasting only for the current location and is not always accurate.
- Doppler Radar: One of the most accurate tool used for weather forecasting. It works with short radio waves called “pulses”, that have high transmission and dual-polarization. As a result, it is able to predict rain, ice pellets, snow with high-accuracy by using the two-dimensional picture.
- Camera: Using camera makes forecasting more accurate and many apps already do that. The blend of satellite, cameras & radars gives better outcomes.
- National Weather Service data: In countries like US, weather apps collect NWS data and NWS collects the data from metro stations and satellites from all around the country and make the forecast with the special computer algorithm. However, it may not be the most accurate one
Types of Weather Apps
- Climate Apps: Such applications have various functionalities like they show climate changes through the time current climate all around the globe and also give the complete climate map like air temperature, gravity field, sea level, ozone and carbon dioxide perсentage in the air, etc. Many apps allow hurricane tracking as well.
- Image of changes: This type of app is mostly used for educational or entertaining purposes. The main purpose here is to predict the overall climate change over the years. This type is not so popular, but still attracts a certain market segment.
- Forecast: This is the most prominent weather application. It forecasts using location services. The best apps present standard features like weekly, daily and hourly forecast, but provide plenty of widgets as well. Some applications have hourly forecast and additional features as well.
- Send smart notifications: this is a must-have feature. On the basis of current weather forecast you create some witty notifications like or push messages that will remind users to grab an umbrella if it’s raining; or wear some sunscreen because the UV rays are high today.
- Beautiful weather visualizations: besides the basic weather forecasting, you can also offer elegant weather visualization. Data for this kind of app can be gathered through Open Weather Map API.
- Go hyper-local: this feature is useful to predict rain/storm and other weather changes with a per minute accuracy based on the user’s current location.
How much does it cost to develop a weather app?
The cost involved in developing a weather app depends mainly on its intricacy and additional features. However, the weather apps comes into the category of ‘utility apps’ and does not perform a lot of tasks.
Therefore, the cost of developing a weather mobile app may cost you around $3000 to $5000.
Hope this blog helps you to better understand that how to make money from Weather app and how beneficial are these mobile apps. To know more details on app development, you can get in touch with our expert App development team at Tech pathway
A seasoned Digital Marketer and a pro-blogger, Suprabhat loves writing about anything. He is working as a Digital Marketing Executive for Tech Pathway, a company that provide world-class social media and search marketing services and web & mobile app development.