Hacking and breaches have become common these days. Especially, eCommerce websites have become a real challenge from the security perspective. Today, many eCommerce websites are tech savvy yet somewhere they lack in securing their websites.
Imagine you own a retail outlet.
What security measures would you adopt for your shop?
You would probably have secure doors with locks, CCTV cameras, alarm systems, etc.
But what if you are an online retailer? Just because you are selling online does not mean that you can take your security for granted. Today, it has become vital for online retailers to keep a close eye on the security of their websites in order to prevent any online hacking.
To ensure the complete security of your eCommerce website, one should adopt these following measures-
- Select a reliable eCommerce hosting service: choosing a good hosting service for your eCommerce website is very important. It not only keep hackers away, but also serves as a good backup service so that your website can be easily restored after a security breach.
- Use secure HTTPS: to avoid any online frauds it is better to move your website to HTTPS, but before doing this you must have an SSL certificate. HTTPS is used by google to give a SERP ranking to your website. HTTPS is quite essential for your website security as it creates a secure link between the user’s browser and your server to prevent any online hacking.
- Choose a secure platform: before selecting any eCommerce platform, security must be given a high priority. One should focus on using secure payment gateways, releasing security patches and must include shipping method extensions.
- Security of user level information: hackers can cause a lot of damage once they have gained access to user login information. An admin should ensure that the customers are using different precautions while using an eCommerce website. Some secured approaches can be that customers must change their passwords after a month. Ensuring that customers use unique passwords.
- Don’t store sensitive data: one must ensure that they do not store any sensitive information like customer credit card information on the website. To prevent any online fraud, one can use the process of tokenization. It basically generates random numbers known as tokens in place of customer information and thus help prevent credit card fraud.
- Vulnerability tests on the website: a planned vulnerability scan on your websites will prevent online hacking. You should choose a program that not only scans your website, but also your network so that you know the risks that should be addressed and fixed.
- Update your website regularly: hackers are always looking for some exposures that can give them a way to attack your website. So it is important to update your eCommerce website to prevent any online hacking or fraud.
- Regular backups: one must ensure that they take regular backups for their eCommerce website as after a hacking incident you can retrieve your website’s backup from your hosting server and can restore the website.
- Using content delivery network: a CDN is a network that delivers the content to the users based on their locations. This network stores the content of your website and identifies the traces of malware. CDN’s also help in blocking the DDoS attacks.
By following all these eCommerce security measures, online businesses can effectively build their customer’s trust and their reputation which would give them long lasting online presence.
A seasoned Digital Marketer and a pro-blogger, Suprabhat loves writing about anything. He is working as a Digital Marketing Executive for Tech Pathway, a company that provide world-class social media and search marketing services and web & mobile app development.